Mansfield Children's Center
"Where Children Thrive"
What does it mean to be independent? At the heart of the School Age Program is our Independence Program. This program teaches social emotional skills such as cooperation, honesty, follow though, and self-control.
Through group and individual activities within the arts, sports, sciences, and more, our goal is to increase a child’s pride. Pride is a product of mastering a skill that enhances a child’s independence or self worth. This usually requires some form of self-discipline, effort and support. MCC teachers guide children in a collaborative manner to foster and reinforce the continuous development of new skills within the social, intellectual, artistic, and physical domains.
The School Age Program serves children in 1st through 5th grade and is offered as a before and after school program in which children may take the bus to and from public school, and as a full day summer camp.
What can school agers, parents, and teachers expect from the School Age Program?
• A clear, consistent set of expectations, values and skills to strive for.
• Exposure to a wide variety of developmentally appropriate and challenging activities.
• A sense of pride in mastering skills that leads to independence.
• A capacity to make judgments and decision for themselves, rather than being easily influenced by social pressures.
• A clear picture of what MCC values and how we teach their children.
• Daily communication about your child’s activities and learning.
• A profile of the skills your child is developing and a picture of their child’s progress towards independence.
• A trusting connection with MCC staff and opportunities to participate in your child’s educational experience.
• A trusting connection with each child and satisfaction in seeing him/her progress and grow.
• A profile of each child’s interests and a clear set of teaching objectives for each child.
• A structured yet flexible schedule that supports both the individual child’s and the group’s daily needs.
• Curriculum activities and mentoring support which allow teachers to provide children with continuity in their learning
experiences and which encourage teachers to help develop novel activities.
1100 School St.
Mansfield, MA 02048